On Monday evening, Fredericia City Council approved the sale of a business area of just over 120,000 m2 to Google. The area is a direct extension of the current data center in the Princess' Quarter in Taulov. A purchase right of a further approx. 375,000 m2 was also approved.
[AD.] Tomorrow we will discuss this breaking news at Datacenter Forum Copenhagen. Don't miss it. Click here to register.
In 2015, Google bought a 730,000 m2 area in the business area DanmarkC, and in 2020 after two years of construction, the company was able to celebrate the opening of the new data center. Having one of the world's largest tech companies in the municipality provides both jobs and exciting opportunities for cooperation for the benefit of the municipality's citizens and associations. Google's green profile also falls into good soil in Fredericia, if you ask Mayor Steen Wrist.
"We are proud and happy that Google has chosen to get involved in Fredericia. With the purchase of extra land, Google is buying into more options here in the future, and that is extremely positive. And, of course, a statement that Google wants Fredericia. ”
Google has a tradition of actively engaging with the local community in areas with data centers. In Fredericia, the city's mechanical engineering school has twice received scholarships, which have helped to enable a new teaching process and the construction of a 'mini data center'. In connection with the opening of the data center, Fredericia Museum received DKK 600,000 for two projects to support the dissemination of local history. In addition, Jobcenter Fredericia, Business Fredericia and Google are collaborating to provide the unemployed with a digital qualification.
“We already have a really good relationship with Fredericia and are happy to be here and get involved in the city. With the purchase of extra land, we get the opportunity to expand our presence at a later date. Exactly how is still too early to say ", says Google's data center manager, Arni Jonsson.
Google has not taken a position on how and when the additional land will actually be used.
Google in Fredericia
- The data center at Fredericia is Google's fifth in Europe.
- - Google invested DKK 4.6 billion. kroner.
- - Today, approx. 150 employed in the data center, and hundreds of other jobs are supported through subcontractors and derivative effects.
- - The Google Group has been CO2 neutral since 2007 and recently eliminated all CO2 consumption back to its foundation in 1998.
- - Google has invested in five solar parks around the country with a total capacity of 160MW. This corresponds to Google's total annual consumption of electricity in Fredericia.
- - The new business area, which Google has bought from Fredericia Municipality, is 121,686 m2 and is located east of Google's current area in the Princess' Quarter