updated: 25-07-2022 | 10:19
Equinix, the world’s digital infrastructure company, announced the signing of a new power purchase agreement (PPA) with Neoen, one of the world’s leading producers of exclusively renewable energy, and Prokon, a large renewable energy cooperative, to provide at least 42 MW of green energy in Finland.
This is the second PPA signed by Neoen and Prokon with Equinix, and it will provide renewable energy for the firm’s locations in all five of the company’s International Business Exchange data centers in the Helsinki-Espoo area.
Expanding the scope of climate commitments
Under the 10-year agreement, Equinix will purchase 80% of the green energy and guarantees of origin to be produced by the new Lumivaara wind farm. Located in the Finnish municipality of Hyrynsalmi, in the central region of Kainuu, Lumivaara will comprise nine wind turbines, with a total capacity of at least 53 MW. Construction is scheduled to begin in 2023, with commissioning to follow in early 2025. Neoen owns an 80% stake in the project, the remaining 20% being owned by Prokon, the original developer of the project.
The green energy contract signed with Equinix is partially indexed to market prices. It is Neoen’s eighth corporate PPA in Finland since 2018, proof of the company’s attractiveness to significant international businesses like Equinix, the first data centre company in the world to set a 100% renewable energy target, achieving 95% renewable energy globally in 2021. Equinix also expanded the scope of its climate commitments in 2021 to include both a validated science-based target and a goal to reach climate neutrality across its operations by 2030. This latest renewable energy PPA brings Equinix’s total capacity under long term contract globally to 297 MW.
Leading the way
“Finland is fast becoming a world leader in environmental sustainability and at Equinix we are proud to play a significant role in that story", says Sami Holopainen, Managing Director, Finland at Equinix: "I’m delighted to sign our second power purchase agreement with Neoen and Prokon, quickly following the agreement we executed in December last year to take more than 30 MW from their Björkliden wind farm. By bringing our total renewables purchasing to over 75 MW in Finland, Equinix is once again leading the way in its support of the renewables industry, reaffirming its commitment to more sustainable power generation, and taking yet another significant step towards accomplishing our pledge to become climate neutral globally by 2030.”