Equinix announced the signing of a new power purchase agreement (PPA) with Neoen, one of the world’s leading producers of exclusively renewable energy, and Prokon, a large renewable energy cooperative, to provide at least 57 MW of green energy in Finland.
This is the third PPA signed by Neoen and Prokon with Equinix, preceded by the Lumivaara and Björkliden wind PPAs, both signed in the past 12-months. The renewable guarantees of origin generated from the project will be allocated to Equinix’s locations in all five of the company’s International Business ExchangeTM (IBX) data centres in Finland.
Under the 10-year agreement, Equinix will be the offtaker for 60% of the output and guarantees of origin to be produced by the future Storbötet wind farm. Located in the Finnish municipality of Uusikaarlepyy, in the central region of Ostrobothnia, Storbötet will have a total capacity of at least 95 MW. Construction of Storbötet is scheduled to begin in 2023, with commissioning to follow in 2025. The electricity generated from the wind farm will be injected into the national grid. Neoen owns an 80% stake in the project, the remaining 20% being owned by Prokon.
Leading the way
The PPA signed with Equinix is partially indexed to market prices. It is Neoen’s ninth corporate PPA in Finland since 2018, proof of the company’s attractiveness to significant international businesses like Equinix, the first data centre company in the world to set a 100% renewable energy target, achieving 95% renewable energy globally in 2021. Equinix also expanded the scope of its climate commitments in 2021 to include both a validated science-based target and a goal to reach climate neutrality across its operations by 2030. This latest renewable energy PPA brings Equinix’s total capacity under long term contract globally to over 350 MW.
Sami Holopainen, Managing Director, Finland at Equinix: “More and more companies and countries around the world are finally starting to wake up to the importance and responsibility of environmental sustainability. This is why it makes me so proud to announce the signing of Equinix’s third Finland PPA with Neoen and Prokon. This deal demonstrates once again that Equinix is truly leading the way when it comes to the environment and our support of the renewables industry, helping our customers become more sustainable and reaffirming our commitment to more sustainable power generation as we continue our journey to become climate neutral globally by 2030.”